Epic Edit - Super Mario Kart editor

About video games in general, emulation, netplay...

Epic Edit - Super Mario Kart editor

Postby Stifu » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey guys,

I've just released the first stable version of Epic Edit.

http://stifu.free.fr/en/mystuff-epicedit.php

It lets you modify and resave Super Mario Kart tracks.
It's open source, coded in C# (.NET 2.0 required). It also works on Linux with Mono.

That's all folks.
Stifu
Site Admin

Re: Epic Edit - Super Mario Kart editor

Postby NeoLeviathan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:54 pm

I finally tried it out, and everything works great. Compiled in MonoDevelop version 1.0 on Ubuntu 8.10 just fine, and the UI is really simple and pretty fun to use.

Though, I had to forgo compiling the "EpicEditTests" application because I received several errors related to namespaces. Flipping through the classes on both programs didn't show an obvious solution, so I'll just c/p the errors and you can do with it what you will:

Code: Select all
[Task:File=/home/jessica/Programming/EpicEdit_1.0_src/EpicEditTests/Rom/CompressionTest.cs, Line=18, Column=7, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `NUnit' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?(CS0246)]
[Task:File=/home/jessica/Programming/EpicEdit_1.0_src/EpicEditTests/Rom/CompressionTest.cs, Line=22, Column=10, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `TestFixture' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?(CS0246)]

All 30 errors make reference to these two namespaces. I was able to edit maps and everything with the compiled EpicEdit source, so it didn't really affect my ability to use the source you have posted.
NeoLeviathan

Postby Stifu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 am

Seems like you're missing NUnit... but even if you weren't, most tests still wouldn't work because you'd be missing all the ROM test files.
The only easy file to get is the SMK ROM itself. It has to be called "smk.smc", US version, headered (513 KB), and be in the "files" directory under the "EpicEditTests" one. With it, you'd be able to run a couple of tests.
But yeah, what matters is that the EpicEdit project works (and to clear things up, you didn't need to recompile it). Glad you like it!
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby Don » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:24 am

Damn 8)) It looks smooth enough. And at leaqst runs on my 64bit XP. 8-)
Gotta add more commens after some deeper tests.

Stifu, what are you up to now? ;)
It's me, Don Miguel!
Follow FaMe Software on Twitter @FaMeSoft http://famesoft.ru
I'd recommend you DropBox as the best cloud for your files
Don

Postby Cragz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 am

Ah, in the Special Thanks list for being a .NET pusher. My work here is done.

PS: Haven't had chance to test it yet as I'm at work, but it boots on Vista Ultimate 64 bit & Windows 7 RC1. ;)
Cragz

Postby Stifu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 pm

I'd expect it to run on all Windows with .NET 2.0 or above. It's fully managed, doesn't touch the system DLLs or have any specific dependencies.
Cragz, remember how you helped me invoke a DLL in the old version of the editor, in order to decompress data? It now handles all of the data compression and decompression on its own, and in a more efficient way than that DLL does. 8-) Plus that makes the app cross platform (since that DLL wasn't a .NET one).

Don: Good to see you. I'm up to C# / .NET at both work and home. Other than that, not much is new, no other project being worked on... By the way, I see Midwife on a regular basis now. He works in Paris 1 or 2 days a week, and sometimes drops at home when he does. Last week, we've been working together on Epic Edit until 2:30 AM (working on an optimal data compressor, which works like a tree and considers all the possibilities)...
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby Stifu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 pm

This is what I've been working on (rather than setting up the board theme and stuff):

AI editing.
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby Scatt-Man » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:44 pm

AHHHHH!!!! Holy crap that's awesome! Fuck the board themes. ヽ(^。^)ノ I was just looking at the picture before reading anything underneath or on the right of the picture for a good 20 seconds before wanting to know more. "Hmmm... Could it be AI-related? ( ゚,_ゝ゚)" That looks incredibly sexy, Stiffo. It looks all pretty self-explanatory, but if you're bored enough, could you tell us how it all behaves, what with the beams of colour and all?
Scatt-Man

Postby Stifu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:03 pm

When a computer driver enters a zone (zones being either rectangles or triangles), it will then drive toward the zone's target point (those little white circles located in the next zone). Colors are blue, green, yellow and red, and represent the speed of the computer driver when in that zone, from slowest to fastest.
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby Scatt-Man » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Simple and awesome, mate! Good job. :D
Scatt-Man

Postby andrewclunn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:07 pm

So is anyone making a hack with this? (I mean aside from the one on the main site.)
Well, actually I;m more into hacking Mario Kart 64, but hey, to each his own.
andrewclunn

Postby Stifu » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Not that I know of, but the next version may attract more people.
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby teknix1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:54 am

Wow, simply amazing, good work!

Quick question; Is there a reason why compiling the new ROM always ends up expanding the total size past the original 512 KB?

When I saw this superb editor I right away thought about buying an old cart from eBay and replacing its ROM with one with new tracks, how awesome would that be, no emulation... But for this to work the maximum ROM size would need to be 512KB.

Thanks!
Nic
teknix1

Postby Scatt-Man » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I've been playing around with the editor a bit, coming up with four completed-ish tracks. The editor is simple and fun to use. The hardest part is coming up with ideas for tracks. :P

I've already asked you about the undo feature, and I'm certain you've already thought of this, but are you planning on implementing a start/finish line changing feature? Not a huge deal, really, but I thought I'd ask. Also, this might not be simple, or even possible, but would there be any possibility of implementing a "Flip Highlighted Selection" feature? Select an entire right corner, then flip it to face left?

Guess I'll show you guys one of my tracks. :?

I tend to notice that most, if not all Mario Kart hacks out there seem unprofessional and empty when it comes to track design. Blocky, poor use of track pieces, etc.. Most don't even use the nifty-looking corner border strips on Mario Circuit! :shock:
I tried to mimic the feel of Nintendo's original tracks a bit, but I guess that's up to other people to decide. Donut Plains probably only just beats Mario Circuit in terms of how long it takes to make a polished-looking track. Curves everywhere! Haven't seen many examples of people making use of random water edges. Blocky just looks teh ugly.

So yar! Had a lot of fun with it so far, Stif. No problems to report at all! Haven't used it for a fair few days, but it's incredibly easy to get back into after a break. Great job, bud.
Scatt-Man

Postby Stifu » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 pm

teknix:
The reason the ROM is expended is because tracks are decompressed and recompressed, and so their size varies (they're 16 KB uncompressed, and their compressed size can go from below 1KB to 5-6 KB, usually). Due to this, it's not possible to know whether they'll fit where they used to be. For example, Ghost Valley and Rainbow Road tracks take much less space than other tracks when compressed... but what if you replace one of them with a complex Donut Plains track? It can't stay at the same place. So, to have more flexibility, all the tracks are saved at the bottom of the ROM (leaving the original track data untouched).

To make your ROM fit within 512 KB, you'd have to do so manually, and it'd be a pain (especially if you're new at this). If you really want to end up doing it, you'd better not start bothering with it until you're 100% done with your hack. Still, it's possible to make your own cart even with a ROM bigger than 512 KB (I did so using a Super Flash Cart, available at Tototek, but there are other ways).

Scatt:
Moving the start/finish line is planned, of course. Flipping tile groups isn't, though.
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby teknix1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Sounds great Stifu, that's what I thought. You did mention that you had a different compression technology (a much better one), I suppose this has been compiled and needs to be placed somewhere on the ROM too?

I'm investigating the feasibility of putting a 8Mbit chip on the original SMK board. Looks like all the required address lines are there. As long as the mapping of all the other components are mapped outside of the first ~768KB. You wouldn't happen to know this?

It would be a nice plus if what I asked for would be possible, I mean the program could warn the user that the map cannot be compressed enough to fit... I know it's a lot of work, I'm not complaining. Thanks again for the great editor. Can't wait to see the next release with the AI and objects...

Nic
teknix1

Postby Stifu » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 pm

teknix1 wrote:Sounds great Stifu, that's what I thought. You did mention that you had a different compression technology (a much better one), I suppose this has been compiled and needs to be placed somewhere on the ROM too?

Epic Edit indeed has the best compressor around. :)
Basically, for track maps, what you'd have to do is located the track data Epic Edit generated, move it elsewhere, and then update the pointer to that data.

teknix1 wrote:I'm investigating the feasibility of putting a 8Mbit chip on the original SMK board. Looks like all the required address lines are there. As long as the mapping of all the other components are mapped outside of the first ~768KB. You wouldn't happen to know this?

No idea, sorry. I can just tell you that Epic Edit can't save data beyond 1 MB, currently, due to the way offsets are in the original game (they're on 5 hex characters, so don't go beyond 0xFFFFF). That means Epic Edit manages up to 512 KB (the range from 512 KB to 1 MB), which is more than enough to save all the new data.

teknix1 wrote:It would be a nice plus if what I asked for would be possible, I mean the program could warn the user that the map cannot be compressed enough to fit...

I thought about that long and hard before... and the problem is that it's not possible to tell whether a compressed map can fit or not, because it's not possible to tell whether the data after the map is used, is junk, or whatever. I guess the only way to do that would be to make an editor that'd control every single thing in the ROM, so it'd have knowledge over all the data in the ROM (kinda like an emulator)... but that's way over the scope of Epic Edit, and way over my skills.
That's also how most editors work. The only workaround I thought of is have 2 modes: let the editor handle the data (as it is now), or let advanced users choose where to save it. But that'd be quite some work to implement, while the vast majority of users don't need this feature.
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby teknix1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 am

If Epic Edit can't write past 1024KB, that's perfect, my 27c801 has exactly that capacity, it'll never produce a ROM that I can't burn. I'm sure I'll manage to get this going, I made my own 16Mb Dev Cart from College Slam.

I've built the latest code to see the AI stuff, pretty neat. Two thumbs up! I just had to fix the couple null pointer exceptions. Once this is all ready we should put up a repository for user made tracks. I can't wait to see all of this unemulated.

As for the feature request, thanks for considering, it would have helped me in my project but would have distracted you from your current WIP. It would probably only end up making the editor more complex than it needs to be anyways. And if the 8Mb trick works, I end up with the same result.

Thanks
Nic
teknix1

Postby Stifu » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 am

What are these null pointer exceptions about? I don't know of any. Or maybe you're talking about the EpicEditTests (unit test) project? It requires files that aren't included in the repository (since they're ROMs and all), so it's not very useful for others. But you can safely delete that project, and the program will still work.
As for user-made tracks, I guess that'd be better once Epic Edit can export all the track data... at the moment, it only exports the map and the theme id (just like Track Designer). Also, we plan to add support for the MAKE track format, as well as end up making our own.

Anyway, glad to see some interest. 8-)
Stifu
Site Admin

Postby teknix1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Stifu, I just sent you a PM to clear up the thread of this side discussion (exceptions).
teknix1

Next

Return to Gaming